On the Come Up movie is a younger adult novel by Angie Thomas
On the Come Up, posted on February 5, 2019 via Balzer + Bray, is a younger adult novel by Angie Thomas . It tells the story of Bri, a 16-yr vintage rapper hoping to fill the shoes of her father and ‘make it’ as an underground hip-hop legend. Overnight, Bri turns into a web sensation after posting a rap hit which sparks controversy. As Bri defeats the chances to ‘make it’ she battles controversy to obtain her goals. It is set inside the identical universe (Garden Heights) as Thomas’ first e book The Hate U Give.Main characters
- Brianna Jackson—Brianna is the daughter of Jay and Lawless and younger sister to Trey. She is likewise known as Bri or ‘Lil Law,’ after her late father. She is an aspiring rap legend. In her efforts to ‘make it’ as a rapper, her songs sparked controversy in her network. At school, she has a reputation amongst the lecturers as a hoodlum for her “aggressive” behavior.
- Jayda “Jay” Jackson—Brianna and Trey’s worrying mother. After the murder of her husband, she became to capsules and suffered from melancholy but later stopped for fear of losing her youngsters. She later loses her job and struggles to discover different alternatives but constantly places her youngsters first.
- Lawrence “Lawless” Jackson—Brianna and Trey’s father, Jay’s husband. He became an underground rap legend but turned into murdered earlier than he changed into able to ‘make it’ mainstream as a rapper.
- Trey Jackson—Brianna’s older brother, Jay and Lawless’s son. He is finished, as he acquired a scholarship and later performed a degree in university. He labored at a pizza region to make ends meet for Jay and Brianna.
- Aunt Pooh—the aunt to Brianna and Trey, in addition to the more youthful sister to Jay. Aunt Pooh is notoriously referred to as a drug provider however continues a close courting with Brianna.
- Sonny—unswerving, and antique friend to Brianna. He helps her regardless, even through the controversy Brianna has suffered.
- Malik—Brianna’s overwhelm, and also a close pal. He is unswerving to Brianna, but later dates another girl.
- Kayla—Trey’s female friend. She works on the pizza place with him, as nicely is known as a rapping queen.
- Curtis—Brianna’s boyfriend. He’s sweet and respects Bri.
- Milez—the son of Supreme. Sonny’s overwhelm. Has his very own following as a second-rate rapper. Lives within the suburbs rather than the tasks.
- Supreme—Supreme become Lawless’s vintage marketing consultant. He later convinces Brianna to take him on.
- Grandma and Granddaddy—the paternal grandparents of Brianna, who took care of her and Trey whilst Jay was recovering from addiction.
- Jojo—young follower of Brianna, hopes to be a rapper.
- Scrap—Aunt Pooh’s pal.
- Shana—Malik’s female friend.
- Lena—Aunt Pooh’s girlfriend.
The book become well reviewed with the aid of The New York Times, Vox, and The Washington Post.
The American Library Association named the e book one of the satisfactory released for teens in 2020.Awards
On the Come Up acquired numerous accolades:
- 2020 – American Library Association (ALA), Top Ten Books for Young Adults[eight]
- 2020 – Carnegie Medal for Young Adult Fiction nominee
- 2020 – The Amelia Bloomer Book List 
- 2020 – ALA Top Ten Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults[eleven]
- 2019 – Kirkus Prize for Young Readers’ Literature nominee
- 2019 – Goodreads Choice Award for Young Adult Fiction nominee[nine]
- 2019 – Boston Globe-Horn Book Award for Fiction & Poetry nominee[nine]
On February 4, 2019, Fox 2000 Pictures acquired the rights to evolve the unconventional with George Tillman Jr. directing and producing with Robert Teitel, and Jay Marcus from State Street Pictures, alongside Thomas Marty Bowen, Isaac Klausner and John Fischer of Temple Hill Entertainment. On December 11, 2019, after Disney’s acquisition of twenty first Century Fox and last of Fox 2000, Paramount Players received the film adaptation with Kay Oyegun employed to jot down the script and Tillman Jr. nonetheless attached to direct.[thirteen] On October 19, 2020, Wanuri Kahiu replaced Tillman Jr. as director of the movie. On June 10, 2021, it was introduced that Sanaa Lathan could make her directorial debut with the film, replacing Kahiu.
The movie has been announced as premiering at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival. It changed into additionally announced that the edition would launch on September 23 thru Paramount+.References
- ^ “On the Come Up – Angie Thomas – Digital Audiobook”. HarperCollins Publishers. Retrieved October sixteen, 2019.
- ^ a b Angie Thomas (February 5, 2019). On the Come Up. Balzer + Bray. p. 392. ISBN 978-0-06-249857-1.
- ^ “On the Come Up via Angie Thomas”. HarperCollins Publishers. Retrieved October sixteen, 2019.
- ^ Valby, Karen (2019-02-05). “In Angie Thomas’s ‘On the Come Up,’ a Young Rapper Finds Her Way”. The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-03-29.
- ^ Grady, Constance (2019-02-05). “Angie Thomas follows up The Hate U Give with On the Come Up, a warm and witty ode to hip-hop”. Vox. Retrieved 2019-03-29.
- ^ Browne, Mahogany L. (2019-02-01). “Angie Thomas follows up ‘The Hate U Give’ with the story of an aspiring hip-hop famous person”. Washington Post.
- ^ American Library Association (2020-02-05). “2020 Top Ten Best Fiction”. Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA). Retrieved 2021-03-08.cite web:CS1 maint: url-status (hyperlink)
- ^ American Library Association (2020-02-05). “2020 Top Ten Best Fiction”. Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA). Retrieved 2021-03-08.cite internet:CS1 maint: url-status (link)
- ^ a b c d “On the Come Up”. Goodreads. Retrieved 2021-03-07.cite net:CS1 maint: url-status (link)
- American Library Association. Retrieved 2021-04-04.cite net:CS1 maint: url-reputation (link)
- ^ Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) (2020-01-06). “2020 Top Ten Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults”. American Library Association. Retrieved 2021-04-04.cite web:CS1 maint: url-popularity (hyperlink)
- ^ N’Duka, Amanda (February four, 2019). “Fox To Adapt ‘The Hate U Give’ Author Angie Thomas’ Next Book ‘On The Come Up’; George Tillman Jr. Directing”. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 10, 2020.
- ^ N’Duka, Amanda (December eleven, 2019). “‘This Is Us’ Producer Kay Oyegun To Adapt Angie Thomas’ Book ‘On the Come Up’ For Paramount”. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 10, 2020.
- ^ D’Alessandro, Anthony (October 19, 2020). “‘On The Come Up’: Wanuri Kahiu Set To Direct Feature Based On ‘The Hate U Give’ Author Angie Thomas’ Book”. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 31, 2020.
- ^ D’Alessandro, Anthony (June 10, 2021). “Sanaa Lathan To Make Feature Directorial Debut With Paramount Players’ ‘On The Come Up'”. Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 10, 2021.cite net:CS1 maint: url-repute (link)
- ^ “‘Succession’ actress Sanaa Lathan’s ‘On The Come Up’ to debut at TIFF”. Toronto Star, July thirteen, 2022.