The 20 Quality Korean Dramas Of 2021
The Korean dramas launched in 2021 were an eclectic mix of melodramatic mysteries, darkish fantasies, revenge stories and fluffy romance. My listing of the satisfactory dramas includes some hits and some dramas you can have overlooked. Dramas which includes Squid Game and Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha dominated the charts and don’t need any advent, but possibly viewers have yet to find out some of the subsequent.
1. True Beauty. Can makeup movies teach you to love your unadorned face? Ju-kyung, played with the aid of Moon Ga-young, is bullied at faculty and develops an inferiority complex about her looks. When she learns a way to follow make-up and transfers to any other faculty, she’s abruptly popular enough to draw good-looking college students, performed through Hwang In-yeop and Cha Eun-woo. But might they love her if they noticed her unadorned face? Why see it: Moon’s comic-book-loving man or woman—drawn immediately from a web comic—is likable amusing.
2. Beyond Evil. Star Shin Ha-kyun received a Best Actor award at the 2021 Baeksang Awards for his terrific overall performance in this dark drama approximately a serial killer and his complicated ties to one small city. Yeo Jin-goo plays the detective who thinks Shin, a fellow detective, is complicit inside the killings. The tale explores the definition of evil by using slowly unveiling the methods the citizens are linked to the crimes. Why see it: Shin’s facial expressions are haunting.
three. Navillera. Is there an age limit to your dreams? Not for 70-yr-antique Shim Deok -chul, performed by way of Park In-hwan. He desires to research ballet, so he techniques Lee Chae-rok, played by using Song Kang, a talented younger ballerino who is turning into discouraged about his very own profession. Why see it: A scene in which Park dances within the snow might be one of the most lovable scenes ever filmed in dramas. It’s one among many touching scenes.
four. Vincenzo. It’s first of all tough to recognise what to make of Vincenzo, a story about a Korean lawyer who works for the mafia, however that’s part of what makes it addictive. The drama gleefully switches genres some instances while gambling cinematic homage to The Godfather, Carrie, The Birds and different movies. Why see it? The drama incorporates many outrageous scenes as campy as they may be dramatic. Song Joong-ki, Jeon Yeo-been and Ok Taecyeon encompass their cartoonish characters and the eccentric supporting forged is pretty humorous.
Jung Yong-hwa and Jang Nara evict ghosts and make the sale in ‘Sell Your Haunted House.’KBS2
5. Sell Your Haunted House wins a mention because of the clever premise. There are those who exorcise ghosts and there are people who tidy up real estate for a fast sale, but the actual property corporation run by Jang Nara unearths out why ghosts are making a property unsaleable, then evicts them, and makes a sale. She hires a con man who claims to peer ghosts, performed with the aid of Jung Yong-hwa. Why see it? Jang Nara as a woman residing with her mother’s ghost could be very relatable—even in case you don’t accept as true with in ghosts.
6. Move To Heaven. The ex-con played by using Lee Je-hoon thinks he’s headed for clean avenue once he inherits the whole lot from his older brother, however what he inherits is his autistic nephew, performed deftly through Tang Joon-sang, and their commercial enterprise, which clears out the stays of the once in a while nameless useless. Why see it? There is something very moving about the respect with which Tang’s character enables clear up the stories of the departed.
7. Youth of May This drama is ready against the history of the Gwangju uprising. In 1980 pupil protests broke out in Korea and have been tragically met with the aid of violence. Kim Myeong-hee, played by using Go Min-si, goes on a blind date as an alternative for her wealthy buddy and meets Hwang Hee-tae, a clinical scholar played by using Lee Do-hyun. They are best for every different, however have little hazard to be together before getting stuck inside the crossfire. Why see it: Youth of May places a human face on the tragic effects of the rebellion, while telling a prevalent story.
‘Youth of May,’ starring Lee Do-hyun, is set all through Korea’s democratic rebellion.KBS2
eight. Mine is a darkish fairy story and also a exceptionally stylized thriller. Lee Bo-younger plays a popular actress, who married right into a chaebol circle of relatives. She is as sunny as Snow White, but the different own family participants are alternately slothful, greedy, quarrelsome and downright evil. When a person is murdered there are so many possibly villains. The chaebol family lives in a museum-size mansion, whole with piles of ruby red apples and poisoned relationships. The curse of wealth and power threatens the romance between the family’s prince and a Cinderella maid. Why see it? The dressmaker garments worn by way of Lee and Kim So-hyung are enviably stylish and pricey. It’s an enjoyable thriller and also a tale of sisterhood and female empowerment.
nine. My Roommate is a Gumiho. This candy and fluffy drama would possibly remind you of Beauty and The Beast or Twilight, Korean fashion. While the supernatural tale explores the tried-and-genuine ok-drama trope of very specific people—or in this case a human and a gumiho—being forced to stay together, it does so with a light contact and a awesome solid. Why see it? There is appealing chemistry among the leads Jang Ki-yong and Lee Hyeri. Supporting actors Kang Han-na, Bae In-hyuk and Kim Do-wan provide plenty of laughs. It’s obvious all of us had amusing filming it.
10. The Devil Judge takes place in a dystopian destiny, a time wherein corruption is rampant and poor human beings are truely feeling abused. Sound familiar? It’s intended to. The show is set within the destiny when a televised courtroom gives you some unexpected verdicts towards the wealthy and effective, drawing huge public aid. Ji Sung performs the so-referred to as “satan decide” and GOT7’s Jinyoung is a fellow decide who starts to doubt his ethics. Why see it? Strong performances and the parody of a few too-close-for-comfort political realities make it more than profitable. The drama gives a glimpse of a dystopian future filled with massive screens, one which eerily echoes the existing.
eleven. Lost, starring Ryu Jun-yeol and Jeon Do-yeon, did no longer get the scores it deserved due to the fact the plot become melancholy for so long that many viewers gave up hope. That’s ironic as it’s a tale about humans who’ve given up wish and the way a random personal stumble upon eventually makes their lives well worth residing. Why see it: The moody romantic drama contains some exquisite cinematic scenes and noteworthy traces, in addition to first-rate performances from the stars.
12. One The Woman. This sassy story approximately a hard-speaking, raised-by using-gangsters prosecutor starts with a pretty unbelievable premise. After a automobile coincidence Honey Lee’s individual wakes up and thinks she is the rich female she continually dreamed of being. Complicating reality is the reality that her new chaebol family thinks so too. Lee’s delicious comedy capabilities make even the wildest situation plausible and he or she generates top notch chemistry with her co-big name Lee Sang-yoon. Why see it: Honey Lee trounces a gang without breaking a fingernail. Lee’s facet eye is memorable.
Honey Lee, also referred to as Lee Ha-na, plays two roles in ‘One The Woman.’SBS
thirteen. D.P. explores hazing inside the South Korean military, a trouble that has received renewed attention since 2011. Jung Hae-in performs a soldier who signs and symptoms directly to pursue deserters, partly with a purpose to avoid being bullied. In his navy position he must chase some squaddies who’re fleeing bullying themselves. Why see it: The drama painfully documents what may prompt a few navy personnel to wasteland. Jung Hae-in offers a considerate performance as a person decided to carry out his obligation, notwithstanding his very own doubts.
14. Melancholia is the story of a math prodigy, traumatized by using his past. Math is the most thrilling element conceivable for him, but he’s afraid to be appropriate on the very subject he’s talented in. A type math teacher, performed by way of Lim Soo-jung, turns his lifestyles around at the expense of her personal popularity. She’s being a great teacher however whilst the two commune over math, it’s hard no longer to see sparks fly. Why see it: Lee Do-hyun offers a diffused overall performance as the principled math prodigy and visitors will love to hate the drama’s many rich, outlandishly entitled characters.
15. Reflection of You. At the start of Reflection of You, a painter, performed through Ko Hyun-jung, throws a frame into the river. The moodily beautiful thriller sets you as much as surprise which individual’s frame it’s far—and maintains you guessing. Is it Shin Hyun-bi, who plays the painter’s former pal and modern enemy. Or is it Choi Won-young, who performs her deceptively kind husband. It may be Kim Jae-younger, her impulsive ex-lover. Why see it? Great performing all around, including Choi, who become so appropriate as a dangerous husband in My Dangerous Wife. Also, Wuthering Heights fans might find it darkly scrumptious.