The Hammer is a 2007 comedy film starring Adam Carolla and Heather Juergensen
The Hammer is a 2007 comedy film starring Adam Carolla and Heather Juergensen. It became directed via Charles Herman-Wurmfeld. Carolla plays a once-promising boxer, now a middle-elderly creation employee, who attempts to enroll in the U.S. Olympic boxing crew.
The movie earned high-quality evaluations for the duration of its restrained theatrical launch.Plot
On location in San Fernando Valley
Jerry Ferro is popping 40 years vintage and leading a mediocre existence. He works element-time in creation as a wood worker and element-time as a boxing teacher at a fitness center near Los Angeles. He drives a beat-up pickup truck and loses both the construction activity and the woman in his existence.
An amateur Golden Gloves boxer lengthy in the past, Jerry is requested in the future if he might be inclined to spar with an up-and-coming fighter named Malice Blake. He takes a beating, however noticeably lands a one-punch knockout. Due to his robust left hand, Jerry’s boxing nickname became “The Hammer,” even though a strolling shaggy dog story depicts human beings assuming the nickname describes Jerry’s paintings as a carpenter.
He is observed by way of Eddie Bell (performed by real-existence boxing teach Tom Quinn), a coach who will teach boxers trying to qualify for the next Olympic Games. Bell invites him to return to the Olympic tryouts. Jerry is clearly too antique and out-of-shape, so he isn’t interested. But his buddy and co-employee Oswaldo Sanchez gives him encouragement, as does Lindsay Pratt, an appealing attorney who works out at the fitness center and has stuck Jerry’s eye.
Jerry involves the tryouts. He is mocked via Bell’s pinnacle mild-heavyweight contender, Robert Brown, which motivates Jerry to get into form. He is going into critical education, loses weight and needles Brown, telling him there may be “a brand new sheriff” on the town in the mild-heavyweight department.
What Jerry does now not understand is that Coach Bell privately sees Jerry as no more than a sparring associate and motivator for Brown, who is a legitimate Olympic candidate but who has a weak spot against hard-hitting left-handers like Jerry. By falsely boosting Jerry’s hopes, Bell can keep away from paying him the standard $a hundred according to day for a employed sparring accomplice.
Jerry drives crew contributors to the first stage of the Olympic qualifying eliminations in Phoenix, where due to his age and lowly status he’s straight away paired in opposition to the No. 1 contender. Coach Bell has gotten all he wanted out of Jerry and is so apathetic about the final results that he deserts Jerry’s corner in the middle of the bout. Motivated by way of the reminiscence that he has never completed anything he ever began, Jerry rankings a stunning knockout.
He and Brown both advance to the subsequent spherical of the opposition, to be held in Pasadena. When Brown learns that Coach Bell has lied to Jerry about his prospects, Brown starts offevolved to sympathize with Jerry and to bond with him as not likely buddies. Unfortunately, they may want to combat every different soon, with only one capable of qualify for the Olympics.
On pinnacle of that, Lindsay has a activity provide that might require her to move out of nation. Jerry knows he has little future in boxing, no matter what occurs subsequent, so he wishes to get his priorities directly as he and Brown head in the direction of a showdown within the ring.
In the final spherical of the opposition, Jerry and Brown pass up in opposition to each other. Lindsay decides to stay in California. At the combat, right as Jerry is set to win and KO Brown, Jerry rather hugs him and shall we Brown win. The film ends with all three at a party at their residence and Jerry becoming Brown’s trainer.Cast
- Adam Carolla as Jerry Ferro
- Heather Juergensen as Lindsay Pratt
- Constance Zimmer as Jerry’s lady friend
- Harold House Moore as Robert Brown
- Oswaldo Castillo as Oswaldo Sanchez
- Tom Quinn as Eddie Bell
- Jane Lynch has an uncredited cameo as a client in a home-improvement save who verbally jousts with Carolla about the right hardware and gear for a home improvement project.
Ferro’s lifestyles is based on Adam Carolla’s actual studies as a creation worker in L.A. The Hammer turned into conceived by way of Carolla and writer Kevin Hench. It changed into directed by Charles Herman-Wurmfeld and independently produced by way of Eden Wurmfeld, reuniting the group that created the 2001 unbiased hit, Kissing Jessica Stein. Filming became completed in past due July 2006.[quotation needed]
On the DVD commentary song, Carolla states that one in every of his favorite movies is Albert Brooks’ Defending Your Life (1991), and that with The Hammer he wanted to seize a similar message of no longer limiting one’s existence due to fears.Release
The Hammer opened on 20 screens on March 21, 2008, and grossed $97,137 at some stage in its first weekend. The following week, the film increased to 34 theaters and had field office totals of $104,803. It was supplied at the Victoria Film Festival in February 2008 and received the Audience Favourite Award. The movie also played on the Tribeca Film Festival in April 2007, and received a tremendous evaluation in Variety. The film opened national within the United States on March 21, 2008.[five]
The Hammer became launched on DVD June 26, 2008.Critical reception
The Hammer acquired frequently fine opinions from critics. As of June 10, 2013, Rotten Tomatoes stated that 80% of critics gave the movie high quality reviews, based on 40 reviews, achieving Rotten Tomatoes’ “Certified Fresh” reputation. Metacritic mentioned the film had a median rating of 57 out of 100, based on 12 critiques. Jesse Thorn of the public radio display The Sound of Young America called The Hammer the great sports comedy of 2008.Music
- Bad Religion – “Infected”
- Homer Greencastle – “You’re the Next Customer”
- Ira Ingber – “Hot Tamales”
- James Kalamasz and Danny Kirsic – “Secrets of Good Loving”
- The Jayhawks – “Blue”
- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones – “The Rascal King”
- The Mooney Suzuki – “Alive & Amplified”
- The Offspring – “Gotta Get Away”
- John Oszajca – “Ring of Fire”
- Social Distortion – “Story of My Life”
- Andy Stochansky and Matthew Gerrard – “Stay”
- Survivor – “Eye of the Tiger”
- Alan Windus – “Napolitana”
- ^ “The Hammer (2008) – Box Office Mojo”.
- ^ Weekend Domestic Box Office Chart for March 21st, 2008, The-Numbers.com, 2008-03-24, retrieved 2013-09-04
- ^ “2007 Tribeca Film Guide – Events by means of Title”. Archived from the original on October 19, 2007. Retrieved April 8, 2007.
- ^ Colonist, Times (2008-02-11). “Adam’s Apples top flick”. Canada.com. Archived from the unique on 2012-eleven-04. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- ^  Archived December 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- ^ https://www.imdb.com/identify/tt0814130/dvd[useless hyperlink][consumer-generated source]
- ^ “The Hammer Movie Reviews, Pictures – Rotten Tomatoes”. Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- ^ “Hammer, The (2008): Reviews”. Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-03-21.